Monday, October 5, 2009

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Posted in by Laurel | Edit
As someone who comes from a long line of people who haven't survived cancer, I'm always grateful for the ones who do. In 2001 my great-aunt Betty survived breast cancer. She was the first person in my family to ever survive cancer and outlive her remission. Since then, we've beaten colon cancer, brain cancer, ovarian cancer, and cervical cancer.
The picture below has three cancer survivors in it. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal to most people, but my family doesn't survive cancer. At least they didn't until 2001. I've lost family to lung cancer, esophageal cancer, bone cancer, every kind of cancer and last month I lost a cousin to brain cancer. It's devastating, but it's also so important for people to know about early detection. Please do self-breast exams, don't smoke, get your HPV vaccine, make sure you protect yourself against the sun, it's all so important. Also donate. Researchers can't do us any good if they don't have money to fund their research. I don't care if you donate in the form of buying a pink blender or a yellow wristband, but please donate. God forbid it should ever be one of your family members, you'll be grateful.


0 Comments